Rich Holly's Percussion Place

Assorted ramblings and occasional updates in the world of percussion.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Great Fun


My family and I were able to have Peter Erskine and Rodrigo Villanueva over to our house for dinner tonight. I teach at NIU with Rodrigo and as much as I see him at school it's always terrific to be able to spend time with him in a social setting.

I've known Peter for probably 15 years, but when we see each other it's always been at a Percussive Arts Society Board of Directors meeting or passing in the halls of music festivals at which we're both playing. In all those years tonight was the first time I've had the chance to just hang with him, and it was great fun. I've always enjoyed speaking with him, but it was great to get to know him better and see how smart, funny and insightful he really is. He's here to go on tour with the top NIU Jazz Ensemble this week. He gave an excellent 2-hour clinic this morning, and in between touring gigs he'll be back on campus Thursday for another clinic and an evening concert with the Jazz Ensemble. If you're reading this and can make it to DeKalb, I highly recommend coming to our Duke Ellington Ballroom in the Student Center this Thursday night, November 15, at 8:00.