Rich Holly's Percussion Place

Assorted ramblings and occasional updates in the world of percussion.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Dr. Martin Luther King Memorial Service

Today I had a performance with lyric baritone Robert Sims at the Rockefeller Chapel on the campus of the University of Chicago (although it's called a chapel, it's huge, and it's just like a European cathedral). This was the annual memorial service that the University of Chicago hosts, and it's quite an affair. This year's keynote speaker was Julian Bond, the Chairman of the Board of the NAACP. He is an extremely engaging speaker. Besides really digging the music that Robert and I performed, I greatly enjoyed hearing Mr. Bond speak. If you're ever in the vicinity of where he'll be speaking, take the time to go - I believe you'll agree with me.

I just had a gig canceled, I was going to be "beamed in" (my favorite phrase for when I'm doing a video conference) to the NAMM convention in LA later this week. Oh well, there's always next year!